Thursday, February 5, 2015

Haiti Love Trip 2015 - Travel Day, Part 2

We made it!!

My first look at Haiti! Beautiful mountains and water. I hope I have an aisle seat on the way home to get a better look. 

We were met at the airport by our driver Leonard and several friends. From what I have heard the airport has came a long way in the last several years and everything ran pretty smooth. 

There was no sugar coating or dipping your toe into Haiti. You walk out the airport doors into the heat and into the culture.

You can't help but take notice of all the locals trying to "help" you with your bags for a fee. This is their income so they are a little aggressive. We already had arrangements with our driver so during that part we were most untouched. I didn't feel threatened or annoyed. They are trying to do honest work to earn money. 

Your nose picks up all the smells. Your face feels the breeze. You can hear the airline noise as well as street noise beyond the parking lot. Soon our team was leaving the fortified walls of the airport and our eyes began taking in the sights. 



Beauty, destruction. Nakedness, well dressed adults. Homes made of tarps leaning against a wall, homes behind ornate gates and high concrete walls. Joyous singing, people crying. 

Haiti is a junxapose. 

Dozens of kids walking home from school made me smile and think of the hope they represent for the future of Haiti. However, just behind where they were walking, I see the pain of the past as the remains of the whole buildings covering lots in rubble from the 2010 earthquake. 

It is clear that life here is not easy by American standards. Sitting on the hot sidewalk trying to sell your wares or bottled water. Walking while balancing large containers on your head. Children that should be in school instead walking together carrying large containers of water. Whole families huddled close to the concrete city walls trying to find even a little shade. None of these activities are typical in my safe, comfortable American culture. 

We arrived at Gertrude's guesthouse and orphanage and it was great to be welcomed in and start meeting everyone. 

I made several tours through the baby room and played a version of patty cake over and over until my heart about exploded. They are cared for well and several have very bubbly personalities. 

I excused myself to the roof to collect my thoughts and spend a little time alone. It is so much visually to take in. I needed some time and space to start processing it. 

The view from the roof. Gorgeous!

I was able to help feed two kids on the other side of the campus. It was nice to be able to jump in and serve in that small but tangible way. Because of their challenges and our language barrier I wasn't able to talk with the children I got to work with but we exchanged some smiles as they were able. I was able to talk some with some staff. 

After our dinner and devotions as a team we started unpacking and sorting donations. These will bless many. 



Thank you for giving. You did this!

Kim and Gertrude catching up. 

Kim is co-coordinator of our trip and shared our first team devotion. She reminded us of why we are here. To encourage and support our brothers and sisters in Christ and to bring relief to help them help the people here. To serve where we can by helping the Haitians with their work. We are not in charge, we are along for the ride.

Sarah and Leonard, our driver. One example of established friendships in this place. It's not a one week a year investment of time, it's a year round yearning to support one another, pray for one another and love however you can. 

I have seen this fleshed out in so many ways already in the short time I've been here. I think one of my favorite things so far has been seeing old friends greet each other and reconnect. You can tell these people love each other and there is a mutual relationship there build on faith as friendship. 

Gus was very excited to hear his long time buddy was coming to stay. Keith is Kim's husband and our other trip coordinator. They have been visiting this place since '99 bringing teams here. Their flight was later arriving than ours so Gus had a couple hours of waiting. This picture is their embrace when they arrived. So moving. 

More thoughts tomorrow I'm sure!

Now it's definitely time for a shower and sleep. Blessings on you and contined prayers for us. Specifically for one bag that still has not been found and also for our work day outside tomorrow. Pray for the health of the team that everyone does okay doing the physical work in the heat.